<$BlogRSDURL$>

A Legal Blog for the rest of us!

Friday, April 02, 2004

WHAT'S IN A (FIRST) NAME 
Will Baude of CrescatS writes about using blogger's first or last names. Speaking specifically about professors like Eugene Volokh:

Co-bloggers nearly always refer to one another by first name, but I can't imagine referring to a post by Volokh with "Eugene says," even if I were commenting on a Jacob Levy post that used precisely that phrase.

Being a UCLA student and having Prof. Volokh as a professor, I must add that I couldn't imagine calling him Eugene. He has invited me to several times. For instance, when he calls me on the phone to discuss Law Review stuff, he always says, "Eugene here." But I always call him Prof. Volokh. It's the same with my Law Skills prof; he always says Jason but I call him Prof. Light. Maybe it's my long years in the military, or just my desire to be a professor myself someday, but I just can't shake the social order of the university.